Dear Friends of the First Tee of Coastal Carolinas,
In our first email sent out on Monday, April 6, 2020, we outlined the work that First Tee of Coastal Carolinas does for the youth in our communities and the need for your support and assistance during these trying times. We also provided information about the upcoming Palmetto Giving Day Fundraiser Campaign funded by the Frances P. Bunnelle Foundation.
- In addition, First Tee of Coastal Carolinas has qualified for matching funds by the Frances P. Bunnelle Foundation during Palmetto Giving Day. That means if you donate $100 it will generate $150 for our youth ($25 generates $37.50).
The duration of the Palmetto Giving Day has increased from 24 hours of giving to 36 hours! Please join our Palmetto Giving Day Fundraising campaign beginning on Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 12:00 AM and continuing through 12:00 PM noon on Wednesday May 6th to help us reach our goal of $10,000 and 250 donors!
So…please get ready to help!
On May 5th (and not before – the webpage will not be activated to accept donations until the May 5th), starting at 12:00 AM you can visit our Palmetto Giving Day website page at: https://www.palmettogivingday.org and make a donation to us – First Tee of Coastal Carolinas. You will have 36 hours to make your donation beginning at 12:00 AM on Tuesday May 5th and ending at noon on Wednesday May 6th.
Even though we cannot golf with our kids for now, the First Tee is first and foremost a youth development organization and we will not sit on the sidelines during this necessary separation period. Our staff, Board and volunteers are working on ways to stay engaged with the 40,000-plus youth currently impacted by our National School Programs, School Day Programs, After School Programs and community outreach events across our six-county chapter.
It is times like this that make us realize the importance of the First Tee Mission and Nine Core Values™ – Honesty, Integrity, Sportsmanship, Respect, Responsibility, Courtesy, Confidence, Judgment and Perseverance– using golf and golf etiquette as the context impacting, influencing and inspiring the lives of young people. The combination of golf instruction, fun golf skill games and our Life Skills Curriculum allow the youth to gain valuable golf skills while enjoying themselves in a social environment.
What we have done:
- Immediately followed schools’ lead and our government’s social distancing guidelines, and suspended all Spring After School and community outreach programs.
- Health and Safety remains the first priority for our youth, parents, volunteers and staff.
Like all First Tee organizations, we immediately implemented all social distancing guidelines, including work-at-home and safe hygiene practices, but our staff and Board operations and communications carried on via email and teleconference.
What we are planning:
Spring & Summer Programs
- Spring Programs have been cancelled, but will resume with socially-distanced golf as soon as restrictions are lifted. Our Program Directors will schedule Family Par 3 Play Days at Cinghiale Creek and are working with Tupelo Bay, Harbor View and Oak Harbor to schedule Spring and Summer events.
- Family Golf Days at the Golf Club at Cinghiale Creek throughout the summer, fall.
- We will announce a very robust Summer Program schedule across our chapter that will include programs in The Grand Strand, Eastern North Carolina and Brunswick County.
Social Media Productions: FUN-the 10thCore Value
- Our staff, Board members and volunteers are producing socially-safe golf instructional videos, indoor and yard golf games, STEM Physics of Golf classes, all linked to our First Tee Nine Core Values™ and Healthy Habits.
- Of course, all productions will be posted on Facebook and linked to our website along with suggested reading, movies and YouTube videos.
- We are inviting our youth participants and their parents to produce their own First Tee golf-themed videos to post on Facebook.
In order to continue to work with our kids, we need your help!
If you would like to donate now instead of waiting until May 5th, you may do so by clicking the “Donate Now” button on the upper right hand side of the website.
Questions? If you have any questions or would like more information, let us know. Please feel free to call Rich Abraham at (843) 325-6787 or Lisa Bryant at (309) 573-5300 or Shannon Parks at (910) 612-3130.